Mold on almonds: is it removed or thrown away?

Almonds are one of the most popular nuts in the world and people love their crunchy texture and sweet taste. But what happens when it spoils and molds appear? It’s not just a myth: almonds can be highly perishable, but with the right conditions.

If we think that the almonds could be damaged, it would be best to throw them away. Most almonds last up to six months after purchase, but it’s best to store them in a cool place. We can also check by looking at its exterior. If the skin looks dry, cracked, or yellowish, the almonds are probably bad. But there are other signs that almonds may be past their prime, like smelling musty and moldy, having a greenish tint, or feeling wrinkled or split skin.

Trick to remove mold

Although it will not completely eradicate or inactivate all molds or mycotoxins that may be present, there is a method that may work. In a solution of water and soda ash, it is recommended to soak for 24 to 72 hours . A simple water wash is effective in removing a significant proportion of mold spores from various surfaces.

We can remove mold with temperatures ranging between 60 and 70 degrees Celsius . Boiling water usually kills mold, so it’s an effective method. Also, remember that the mycotoxins that certain molds produce can withstand high temperatures: boiling the mold can destroy it, but the poisons it contains will still persist.

almendras con moho

Eating mold is not recommended

It is when we eat moldy almonds on a regular basis that it can represent a health risk. Exposure to mold poses several serious health hazards. These poisons can cause breathing problems, allergic reactions, and illness, among other things. Aflatoxin is a specific type of mycotoxin present in almonds.

When a food has a lot of mold growth, root threads have gotten in. Poisonous chemicals are frequently found in and around the threads of harmful molds, making them particularly dangerous. You may notice symptoms similar to food poisoning , such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Anyone with asthma or other breathing disorders should watch for signs of an allergic response to be safe.

Also, moldy almonds are particularly dangerous because they harbor a fungus called Aspergillus flavus . This fungus produces one of the deadliest toxins known to mankind. The toxin accumulates in the liver and can cause liver cancer.